Monday, June 7, 2021

Naming quilts

 

My Dear Jen-inspired quilt is finished!  After putting the binding on yesterday morning, I took it outside for some photos.   First I tried to lay it out on the lawn, but that didn't work so well as I am too short to get a full shot, even of this throw.  But I was able to get a few closeups.

Some of the blocks came from Jen Kingwell's pattern, and some from this year's guild blocks of the month.  The latter were 6" so that we could mail them easily to the winner of that month's lottery.   It was a fun thing to do during the isolation of the pandemic.  The guild hopes to begin meeting in person in the fall, when we'll resume rotating designing 12" blocks of the month.

I am having a time trying to come up with a name for this quilt.  I have several Dear Jane-inspired quilts, and I named my Splendid Sampler "Dear Yve" in memory of my late dear friend.  So what should I name this throw?  Or does it even need a name?  It will probably be sold or given away to someone in need.

At any rate, I like it much more now with the red sashing and borders.  Kingwell's quilt didn't have any, and when I tried that, I hated it.  It seemed very gloomy.  Many of the fabrics came from a box marked "wild fabrics," multi-colored ones that don't fit easily into my one color storage boxes.  

Now that this is finished, my sewing room has been taken over by piles of blocks from guild members for a swap of "Scrappy Trips Around the World" blocks.  They've been arriving a few bags at a time for the past week.  I'll swap them all out today and tomorrow for pick up over the weekend.  When they're all set, I'll have room to sew again.  Until then, though, I can't sew at my machine.  Guess that means I will spend some time on something I've been procrastinating on - weaving in loose ends on a few small knitting projects.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think it looks great with sashing