Saturday, June 26, 2021

Dancing nine patches

 

It's summer - time for local strawberries!  When I saw the baskets at the supermarket, I just had to get some rhubarb to go along with them for jam.  How I miss my rhubarb patch from my old house! It made great jams and muffins when we ran the B&B.

I always make my jam early in the day to avoid the heat.  It's one of the hottest jobs I know.  But so worth it!  On most hot/humid days, I can be found in my sewing room with the air conditioning on.  Today I'll be there, quilting a Dancing Nine Patch quilt.

Last year sometime, I started making nine patch blocks whenever I was between projects or just wanted something simple to sew.  I used my overflowing box of 2.5" squares to make 6" blocks.  It was fun to see how they turned out since I just pulled them out at random after sorting lights and darks.  I had thought I'd try the Bonnie Hunter "leader/ender" thing, but I just couldn't keep at it.  There was just too much stuff on my sewing table if I was working on something else at the same time.    

Last weekend, I counted the blocks, made a few more, tested a few settings, and ended up with Bonnie's "Dancing Nine Patch" setting, adding a couple of yards of light blue "Dimples" fabric from my stash.  It all went together quickly, and was soon ready for quilting at 64" x 64".   After the VQF lecture I attended virtually Tuesday, I got some new ideas about quilting with a walking foot which I'm trying, including using machine embroidery thread.  I went to Joann's this morning to get some silver grey thread and batting (currently on sale at 50% off).  So far, the 100% viscous thread is working well with a slightly longer stitch length.  It has a nice sheen.  Luckily, my stash had a couple of yards of cream "Boundless" fabric from the old Craftsy for the back.   

I don't usually work so quickly, but I was on a roll.  I may go back to Joann's today for more batting.  That sale is too good to pass up.  Hope you have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

why don't you plant a rhubarb plant next to the house you would have it coming in in no time at all? I can't get it to grow here and wish I could