Monday, July 5, 2021

Hope you had a happy Fourth of July

After several days of heat and humidity, we got two wonderful, cool days of almost constant rain.  This will turn our Green Mountains to their usual green rather than the scary brown we've seen for a while.  I had even been watering my flowers often, which is quite unusual for this time of year.  My shasta daisies have all burst open and look good.   

And inside, my orchid started blooming!  It hasn't for years, but this spring I got brave and repotted it.  What did I have to lose?   I read that you should only water orchids with one ice cube each week, so that's what I've been trying to do.  We'll see how the other one does.  I have hope.

I've been sewing a lot by hand the last few days so I don't have much to show.  I am almost all the way around sewing the binding down on a 64" x 64" scrappy Dancing Nine Patch (Bonnie Hunter pattern).  Will try to take a photo once the sun comes out, hopefully later today.

My friend and long arm quilter Marie finished my Scrappy Trips quilt earlier this week, so I have a binding to put on that quilt, too.  It's 72" x 72" and I'm not sure who I will give it to.  I have quite a pile of quilts to rehome now, but I need to take pictures before mailing them out or storing them for local fund raisers.

I also started a new applique project this week, a Halloween wall hanging.   It features a scrappy, wonky house from a pattern by the Piece 'o' Cake ladies.  Right now the plan is to border it with scrappy hourglasses, but we'll have to wait and see how it goes.  When did my favorite color - purple - become a Halloween color?  

Meanwhile, the cooler weather has me baking again - snickerdoodles and blueberry cake.  Both nearly gone since I gave some cake to Chris to take home yesterday.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so nice that your plant flowered - very pretty. Sounds like you all needed rain - it hasn't been too bad here for that and we have been blessed with 3 days of low humidity! it is 85 and I was comfortable on the porch instead of being forced to go back inside