Friday, July 30, 2021

The spree!

 Yesterday, I went on my annual birthday shopping spree at A Quilter's Garden.   The owner, Dee, very generously gives a discount of 1/2 of one's age, so for me, rounding up, that would be 37%.  You can't beat that with a stick!   I generally buy basics - fabrics for backgrounds - and then a few whimsical pieces just for fun. 

 
This year, I decided that I would try making a couple of quilts with unusual (for me) backgrounds, a nearly solid bright yellow and a purple/burgundy print, along with my usual white-on-white and black/white print.  

I still have some cream left over from last year's spree.   I think I'll use it for an appliqued sampler I'm thinking of.  I rediscovered an applique book by the Piece 'o' Cake ladies and used one pattern for the haunted house wallhanging I'm working on.  Most of the patterns in the book are floral, though, which I know I'll enjoy appliqueing.

I also had some holiday projects in mind, so got fabric for them.  I would have been running down to the shop to make those anyway.  I found a nice fall pumpkin fabric for the backs of the three Halloween table runners I want to finish and sell.
 

There are new Christmas fabrics on the shelves at the shop, so I put some into the pile for Mom's requested tree skirt.   I already had some Grinch fabric set aside at home, but it has a lot of blue and chartreuse.  I'll use it for other projects - bowl cozies, gift bags (my sister Jenny loves these), etc.  

The pine tree fabric with red accents will go nicely with scrappy greens and reds for the tree skirt.  The pattern was created by my friend Tess, and I'm planning scrappy greens and reds for the stars.  Mom's favorite color is green, so this seems like the perfect choice for under her tree.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hope you had a great birthday that is a good discount for sure!