Sunday, July 11, 2021

"Options" and more

Thursday, I started working on the blocks of the month for July.  I have at least four going, and this has turned into a problem.  I do like to finish things, and, when ongoing projects begin to feel like obligations, it is time to rethink them.

I did make my three 8" "Options" blocks in red, black, and white.  I have lots of scraps in these colors, which I like, so the only thing I've bought for this quilt so far is another yard of white on white.  I'll keep working on this for a few more months.

Next, I got out my box of "Pop Stars."   This is a Missouri Star pattern which calls for the stars to float on their background.  I have been making these as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and have 26 made so far.  I've been alternating the backgrounds between light and dark gray, so I can alternate 30 blocks, which finish at the odd size of 8.5", for a nice crib-sized quilt.  That's what I'll work on today.  The color this month is dark blue, but I see I have not yet used orange or burgundy, so I'll see what I have in my stash.

I do like the RSC because it helps me clean up the bottoms of my various scrap boxes.  I usually throw out little bits that I don't think I'll use or cut them up into 2.5" and 2" squares for future projects.  

After I finish putting this little Pop Stars quilt top together, I'll work on a few more pineapple blocks.  These are tedious to make, so four a month seems like a good pace.  I expect the pineapple quilt will take a couple of years to finish, but that will be fine.  I'm going to let my Harriet's Journey blocks slide until I get a handle on Pop Stars.  No pressure!

Yesterday, I joined my Calico County Quilters group for some hand sewing time.  It was good to see everyone and talk about what's happening in our lives.  I like these no-nonsense ladies a lot.  I brought along a pre-printed white on white piece I started hand quilting about 20 years ago,  It is actually coming along quite well now that I have my clip on magnifying glasses.  What a boon those have been for quilting and applique.

No comments: