Monday, July 19, 2021

A Little of This and That

It was a busy weekend because of the Friends of the Library book sale.  We hadn't had one in over two years, and throughout the pandemic a small group of us boxed up any donations that came in so that they could be stored at the printer's across the street.  We have 80-90 boxes over there, waiting for our annual sale under the big tent.  That will happen next summer.   Meanwhile, we still have a mountain of books at the library.  So we're holding three sales in hopes of making room for more donations as they come in.   The next sales are August 27-28 and October 1-2.  It's exhausting work but it helps support the many programs the library offers for all ages.  Rockin' Ron the Pirate was there Saturday, and they had an overflow crowd at Senior Day a few days before.

I did manage to squeeze in some sewing here and there, including this month's blocks for Harriet's Journey.   I can't decide how I'll set these blocks and thought I'd try making those pink and white alternate blocks to see how they'd work.  I may simply sash the blocks in white with various colored cornerstones, although I like the top right block as a possibility, too.  

I have 32 blocks made, and there are about 100 or so blocks in Chiaverini's quilt.   I'll go until I'm sick of making them.  The paper pieced star looks easy but ended up very wonky.  But I really enjoyed how the chain block turned out.

This morning, I pieced a back and some batting so I could baste my Pop Stars quilt (a Missouri Star pattern).  Then I started quilting it in random curves up and down the quilt.  It's a little tedious, but I'm liking the look so far.  The quilt measures about 54" x 59" so will be nice for a crib or child's throw.   

I worked on these star blocks as part of the monthly Rainbow Scrap Challenge.    They are easy to make, if you can remember from month to month how they are put together.  I always had to look the instructions up.  I only bought a little dark gray for a few blocks and the outer border.  All the rest is made from scraps.



No comments: