Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Gift giving

I may be unusual in that I really enjoy the gift giving part of the holidays.  I pick up gifts for particular people all year long, and if I see something that more than one person might like, I pick up at least one and sometimes more for later.  I keep part of a drawer in my sewing room for just that purpose.   It's actually quite efficient because I can just pull something out, wrap it, and give it away at the proper time.  Somewhere in Sept. or Oct., I sit down and make a list of Christmas possibilities and purchases which I try to keep year after year.  One year when I didn't do this, I got my Mom the same book for Christmas and her birthday, so I now keep each year's lists on my phone to try to avoid that.

I know some people don't like to come up with ideas for gifts, but I find it a pleasant challenge.   My brother said once that I give the best gifts, and I guess that's because I do put some thought into it.  Upon receiving a gift from me one year, a friend complained that she "thought we weren't exchanging gifts this year."  I didn't expect anything in return for gifts I give; the gift giving is part of the holiday fun for me.   And some people are harder to shop/make for than others, that's for sure.

My family especially enjoys receiving books from me since they know that buying books for the libraries I've worked in has been one of the best things about being a librarian for me.   I still read book reviews although not as religiously as I used to.  I'm afraid Amazon receives the bulk of my family gift giving budget because our tiny local bookshop just doesn't have what I want when I want it.  

I don't spend a lot, and I especially like to make a lot of my Christmas gifts.  In Dutch we call these gifts "aardigheitjes," pleasant little things.   This year, the library staff will be receiving bowl cozies and a jar of soup mix (I found a great set of recipes online for various bean soups and more).   Other years I've made mug rugs, pot holders, key fobs, and other little things for them.  

I always give the letter carrier and the cleaning ladies something - it's often candy but sometimes something handmade, too.   Handmade items also go to my son's friend and his father, who are alone at Christmas now that his mother has passed away, and to some of our neighbors.  This is a somewhat close-knit, older neighborhood where we help and watch out for each other.   More "aardigheitjes," mostly handmade or consumable, are on tap for them.  Most people here are trying to downsize, and some hate to cook.  I just happen to enjoy making rolls, donuts, and breads, and love receiving cookies!


No comments: