Sunday, June 19, 2022

More "Unity"

June is the month for the next-to-last round of the Unity quilt along for the guild.  I think five or six of us are sticking with it, and, as I work on it, I think about how I absolutely hate following a pattern!  So this is a developmental activity for me, with the end result being a lovely, rather large quilt.  There are five or six other projects sitting in boxes, but this is what I'm focusing my energy on when I'm not getting ready for our Colorado trip tomorrow.

June's blocks are rather complex and involve making a seemingly endless bunch of half-square triangles.  Luckily, they finish at 2" and can be cut with the EZ Angle ruler.  This allows me to cut the dark and light sides together and zip them through the machine.  I pile them up in groups of 10 on paper plates so I can keep a relatively accurate count.  I think I need 170-something HSTs.  

Then four patches are made, which go together in pairs, then halfsies, and then the final 8" block.  I have a little over half of the four patches made, and if I have time today, I'll finish those.  I like Bonnie's recommendation about pressing which allows the four patches to nest well together.  

I'll finish this round when we return in a week or so, and then I think I'll work on the July section to finish the whole top.  I'll try to use the bright yellow for the binding if there's enough left, and I'll take the quilt to Marie for long arming.   She's working on one, too, so it will be interesting to see what she recommends.

I really look forward to working on something else, possibly less detailed in the coming months!  I've neglected Austen Jubilee so I'll probably start with that.  I thought I'd made all the blocks for the Quiltmaker mystery, but now I see there are more blocks to be made over the next few months.  My collection of  Jane Austen at Home fabric is really diminishing.  Hope I can find some coordinating scraps in my stash.


1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have a good visit with your mother and family and a happy birthday to her