Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Rocky Mountain birthday


We are back to our "real" life, after a week in sunny Colorado for Mom's 100th birthday.  We arrived last Monday so that we could help with preparations for a Saturday party at the church around the corner.  We made runs to the dollar and grocery stores, Coors gift shop, and Target for party stuff and even squeezed in a visit to the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum.   

The museum had two interesting exhibits.  One featured quite a few quilts on appliqued clamshell backgrounds and the other was entitled "Evolutions."  I'm participating in a cake block swap right now, so this quilt really appealed to me.  My blocks are different from this, but I could add a cake block that's similarly embellished.

Here's one of the "Evolutions" quilts.  I liked it for its slices of color and the beaded embellishments in the center.
My photo doesn't do it justice.  Guess you had to be there.  Here's my favorite "Evolution" quilt:

Five relatives from the Netherlands arrived later in the week, which was just great, and it was fun to see my brother and his family, my sister, and my very vibrant mom again.  It had been almost three years since we visited because of the pandemic.  That's just too long!

Here's a picture of Mom before the party:

There were about 100 people there all together, and it was fun.  I got to meet quite a few of mom's friends and also got reacquainted with some long-time ones, including a couple who now live in Illinois and drove two days to get there.  It was an action-packed trip, but oh, so worth it!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it sounds like you had a good time and your 100 year old mom looks like she is still in good shape and enjoys life - that is so nice!! glad you got in a visit to the museum also