Sunday, June 11, 2023

A nice encounter


We had a busy day yesterday which started off very nicely.  As I was going into the library for a Democrats meeting, I walked up the stairs with the chair of our school board.  She asked me if I am the quilter who had a quilt in the recent Studio Place Arts online auction.  When I said I was, she said she had bought the quilt using the "buy it now" feature and loves it.  I was thrilled!  

I gave it to SPA for their auction last year, and, sadly, no one bid on it.  I worried that it wouldn't sell again this year, and I was planning to take it back and offer them something else to auction off next year.  Besides that, I was happy because she is such a nice person!  It always feels good when someone likes something you've made.

After the Dems meeting, I went home and got Paul so we could go to the Pride Festival in the City park.  There were lots of people there, all having fun.  We bought a few things at the bake sale - funds go to Outright Vermont - and looked at some of the other booths.  I got a free flag to hang on the door.

On the way home, we stopped at a yard sale three doors down and bought a gas grill.  Ours bit the dust over the winter, and we were mourning the loss of charbroiled items, particularly the Wagu beef waiting in the freezer.   We had hot dogs last night for dinner.  I'll get out the beef next time Chris is over for dinner.

In between, I went to the Calico County Quilters meeting and did a little more hand quilting on my longstanding white on white UFO.  The end of that project is in sight - two or three meetings to go.  It's always fun to see those ladies and catch up on their lives and projects.  Everyone is so supportive of everyone else's projects.  Several of them are working on English paper pieced items.  That's not for me, but it's still fun to watch those items develop.

This afternoon, an old friend is arriving for an overnight.  Sonia moved to Albany after living in Plattsburgh, only an hour and half away, for several years.  I miss seeing her.   We have known each other since we were librarians in neighboring towns near Syracuse 50 years ago.   We had planned to go to a talk at the Old Labor Hall, and Sonia said she'd be interested in coming along.  We'll have dinner out and, I hope, watch the Emmy Awards afterwards.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think that is so nice to go to the Democratic meeting and a pride parade - I don't think there has been anything like a pride parade around here and don't know if there ever would be outside of Little Rock and Fayetteville area to the north - both of those sections of Arkansas are much more open.