Saturday, June 3, 2023

More catching up


I made the 9 June blocks for the Rows Parade quilt Thursday and  happily put the project box away until July.   I love Aby Dolinger's instructions.  They are very clear and relatively easy, so I have been doing her blocks of the month projects every year since I discovered her.

Yesterday I made a few string blocks, as part of my year-long effort to clean up miscellaneous scraps.  I used tissue paper foundations from Missouri Star for these, but I have to say that I prefer newsprint.   It's easier to remove.   I've been cutting them diagonally and putting four triangles together for larger blocks.  But when I did this, I noticed that the resulting squares were about 2" larger than previously made ones.  I must have given up on the Missouri Star papers in favor of cutting my own 8.5" squares out of newsprint.  Duh!  I AM getting forgetful.  

I hope to make at least one string block out of neutrals today and then hope to start on some more Dear Jane blocks.  Our weekend plan to visit Rudyard Kipling's home in the southern part of the state were vanquished when I read the fine print about the open house during Rhododendron Days.  Advance reservations were required and they were all booked for Sunday.  We'll have to try to visit another time.  We have quite a few theater opportunities already booked for the summer which will be real treats after the pandemic.

This week I need to clean up the sewing room a bit so that my son can install the air-conditioner (not that we need it today - we're going to have a high of 63 after 91 yesterday) and Sonia will be able to sleep in the bed next weekend when she visits.  It will be good to see her again.   We had lunch together last winter when she was visiting near Burlington, but before that it had been 3 or 4 years.  She was the new librarian in the town next to the one where I was the new librarian many years ago.  We helped each other out quite a bit and have kept in touch all these years - 50?  Wow!

No comments: