Wednesday, August 2, 2023

75 Feels Fine

 

I had a great birthday on Monday!  I had invited about 20 old friends and neighbors for an afternoon "tea."  Two batches of cupcakes, one gluten/dairy free, were decorated and were accompanied by cookies, a cheese board, fruit, punch, and iced tea.  

I had asked for "no gifts," but Donna brought her famous cheese dip and a funny button for me to wear.  Carol, from two doors down, brought the sweetest little bouquet from her garden.  I see her out there working all the time while I do practically nothing outside.  It is obvious that her hard work pays off - and I should do more!

Bill wrote a funny poem which he read to those assembled, and he also worked hard at getting people who didn't know each other to talk.  "Tell me how you and Marianne met," he asked, and everyone chimed in with a different story.  Karen arrived with another bouquet which is still looking very nice on our dining room table.  Pam's bouquet is on the mantle.  How lucky am I!?!

Earlier in the day, I had phone calls from Paul's sister Pat, my mom, and my sister Jenny.  During the party, Marty, husband of our dear friend Yve who passed away in 2018, called as he always does.  Birthdays are a time to reconnect as well as a time to look forward.  As I told my brother Rob, who  celebrated his 66th birthday four days before, "75 feels fine."  I have lots of things left to do, plenty of books to read, and quilts to make.  

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Happy Birthday! that is so nice throwing yourself a birthday tea! it sounds like you had fun and know a lot of nice people.