Thursday, August 31, 2023

Cleaning up

My brother R and his wife L are coming for an overnight on Sunday, so I need to clean up my sewing room.  They are easy guests, but I still like to make things tidy.  I had asked my niece E if she wanted my Viking Classico 100 machine, and yesterday I packed it and its various auxiliary parts up to send home with R & L.   She had asked me a year or so ago what to look for in a machine but hadn't gotten around to buying one (she's in graduate school).  

I think something basic like the all-metal-parts Viking will be a good starter.  And it drives me crazy when I need to use it as I have gotten very spoiled with the automatic cutter, the needle up/down, and all the features of a computerized machine.  I still think about getting a Singer Featherweight for travel, but I also think about a new computerized model that does a better job at free-motion quilting.   Decisions, decisions!  Not to be made swiftly!

Meanwhile, I also put away all sorts of stuff - a pile of backing fabrics, orphan blocks, Christmas gifts I've bought or made, etc.  I can actually see the top of the guest bed now!  

I took six orphan blocks and made two small insulated table runners.  I need to do a fall change over of my stock at the florist shop anyway, so today or tomorrow I'll take them and 3 regular-sized table runners there and bring home any summer stuff that's still there.

With everything picked up, I'm at a loss for what to tackle now.  In the closet, there are five quilt tops waiting to be quilted.  Most of those are destined for Bags of Love (for foster kids) along with some knitted hats and a scarf (in progress).

Today may be the day I start an appliqued block for Jen Kingwell's Green Tea and Sweet Beans.  Stay tuned!


No comments: