Tuesday, August 15, 2023

A couple more finishes

I managed to put the binding on and photograph two quilts yesterday.  Lest you think I'm really productive these days, quilts in progress hang around for months here, and then sometime in August I realize the year is flying by.  I get busy and finish things, and then I start a whole new batch in September or so.  I already have some in my "mind's eye."  And then there's the never ending Modern Dear Jane!

I made Rainbow Log Cabin (previously Floody Log Cabin) during the flood July 10-11 and its aftermath.   While our house wasn't affected, many others in the area were, and roads were washed away.  Our favorite pizza place decided to close up for good after being nearly crushed by the pandemic and then the flood.  The lake outside their building in the middle of town was unbelievable.  

Nervous energy helped me finish this quilt, made of "strings" for an overflowing basket.  Every day, I'd work with a different color. I quilted it last week, very simply going vertically and horizontally about 1/2" either side of the seam lines.  It's an airy quilting design but with the Australian fabric on the back, it's very soft.

Next, I turned my attention to the older UFO that I spent about a month quilting in two sections and then adding some hand quilting and embroidery.  I started the Hankie Quilt last winter and used vintage hankies, a set of curtains, an embroidered tablecloth, and a little shirt I think my mom made and mended when I was a baby.

I'm happy with the way this quilt turned out.  It will be staying with me since there are mementoes in it.  And there is a section I had to repair after catching the walking foot in it, and then putting my finger through the resulting hole.  It will be a cozy throw at the bottom of our guest bed.  Someday, if Chris ever marries and/or has kids (seems unlikely at this point!), I'll pass it along.

I'm sorry these photos are so blurry.  It was a day when the sun and clouds fought for attention.  I made a loaf of bread, took a walk, and read most of the day.  Today it's raining (what else is new?) so I'll be in my quilting room playing with fabric once again.  Life is good!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

good to make progress on your quilts. Sorry that so many businesses were affected by the floods. The weather disasters this year have been horrible all over the place.