Sunday, August 6, 2023

Taking a breather

The best laid plans go awry, don't they?  I've only sewn down 1/4 of the binding on the hankie quilt and set it aside Friday so I could put the binding on the cakes on stands quilt.  It's done!  There was a spot that didn't quilt right on the long arm that I had to fix with my Elna; I did that before sewing the binding on.  

It is ready now to give to "Bags of Love" along with three knitted hats.  I have more yarn for more hats, but I'm working on a scarf right now.  It's a TV watching project.

I wanted a break from big projects, so yesterday I got out the Lazy Girl "Lily" pattern and made a small purse - in just 5 hours!  It felt so good to accomplish something on the same day I started it.  I used some fabric from a big fat quarter bundle Mom and Jenny gave me for Christmas so all the parts coordinated.  

I'm thinking of making another one now that I am comfortable with this pattern which is quite detailed and written for someone who has never sewn garments before.  The pleats and darts were no big deal for me, having made clothes since age 12.  I made the necessary pattern pieces out of freezer paper so I can use them over again as I do more cutting.  I need more interfacing for another bag and would normally buy it at Joann Fabrics.  

Unfortunately, the shop was flooded along with others in the shopping center (and many other places) on July 10.  They are still mucking it out and rumor has it, they aren't reopening.  My alternatives are Walmart, the evil Hobby Lobby (anti-gay, Christian nationalist), Joann.com, or Amazon.com.   Paul had things to buy so we went to Walmart, and it wasn't too busy.

Today I hope to gather the fabric needed for bag #2 and maybe work on a nametag to wear at various guild meetings.  I saw a cute one that uses selvages, and I have lots of those.  Small projects are so gratifying!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sorry that one shop might not open. I only have Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby here for shopping so even though I don't agree with the owners believes I shop there anyhow but I do most of the craft shopping on line