Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Row E

My new Dear Jane variation will be called Accepting My Limitations.   When I worked on The Quilt years ago, my fingers were nimble and allowed me to applique some tiny pieces.  Now I feel I'm all thumbs and have had to resort to using fusibles for some parts of the small blocks.  When I put my mind to it, I can make a row of 13 blocks in a week, which I did last week.  Here's Row E.

The next to the last block (purple with fruit) will receive a little embroidery rather than a fusible bit in its center.  Then I'll put the blocks away for a while as I quilt the Birch Street collage and head south for a few weeks.

Yesterday, I basted the collage together using Misty Fuse, a product I'd never used before.   The muslin back is wrinkly but, since it's a wall hanging, shouldn't be all that noticeable.  The quilting, in straight vertical lines is going pretty well so far. 

 I'm using polyester thread, and Paul helped me move my machine out from the wall in order to allow the stiff collage to drape onto my ironing board behind the machine.  

A few small pieces popped up while handling, so I'm sticking them back down with a little bit of glue.  I hope that after quilting, that problem will be eliminated.  I worried a bit about marking, but I have been making vertical lines with a water-soluble pen every 6" across to make sure that I keep the quilting fairly as I go across the quilt.  I'm actually liking the piece more with the quilting.  That will be what I do most of the next few days.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I decided a long time ago to never make a Dear Jane quilt again. After two it was never again for me