Saturday, March 9, 2024

The Disney quilt

Early this week, I made 16 log cabin blocks and mailed 12 off to the other people in the swap.  Then I turned my attention to a baby quilt for my cousin's daughter (in the Netherlands, she is considered my niece) and her husband.  Susan and Arjan are crazy about all things Disney and even went to Disney World for their honeymoon several years ago.  Over the years I've sent little things I've made with Disney fabric.  Now I'm thrilled to be sending them a baby quilt.

When I double-checked on the baby room's decor, Susan said "Disney, of course!"  I thought so!  I ordered some Disney-themed charm squares on etsy.com and made disappearing nine patch blocks.  The back is a soft red polka dotted flannel.   It's almost embarrassing how quickly this all went together, but I love the way it turned out.

What a nice change from the two neutral baby quilts that were requested last year!  The postscript to that story is that for the quilt for my new greatnephew, Daley, I made a colorful scrappy back.  And his mother seems to prefer that side for tummy time.  I'm so glad!

This afternoon I'm heading to my monthly hand sewing group, the Calico County Quilters.  I have a sashiko piece and some hexies to work on and will bring the Disney quilt along for show and tell.  

I belonged to this group before my son was born 42 years ago but took about 30 years off for one reason or another.  I enjoy the members very much.  Everyone works on her own project; we learn so much from each other.  Of course, we talk about non-quilting things, too, which makes for a very pleasant afternoon.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

cute quilt - I'm sure it will be appreciated