Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Time for cookies!

Always watching my weight but not always too carefully, I have been baking for the holidays. It's pretty silly with just the 3 of us and one of those not even living here, but it is fun to do. Last week, I made fruitcake using King Arthur Flour's fruit cake blend. I love fruitcake and, luckily for me, Paul likes just a little and Chris doesn't like it at all. Last year's 3 fruitcakes lasted well into February. I got my recipe at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/our-favorite-fruitcake-recipe but made a few changes. I left out any "secret ingredients" and substituted cherry-flavored Craisins for candied cherries, chopped walnuts for pecans, and apple juice for rum. Can't wait to try some.

Yesterday, I made Karen's ginger cookies, and today I'll be baking Taste of Home's coconut macaroon kisses. Later in the week, it'll be Sharon's Oh Henry Bars and maybe some oatmeal chocolate chip/cranberry cookies. I ordered some Speculaas, an almond pastry, and a box of Droste chocolates from All Things Dutch. Then I'll be ready for company or just a cozy tea while gazing at the tree which I hope to put up at the end of the week. Think I'd better plan on a few more laps around the mall or neighborhood every day!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Marianne you should post your fruitcake recipe - I am always looking for a good one to do - I am the only one that likes it though and I only eat a little of it. I always try only making half the recipe.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/