Wednesday, December 16, 2009

'Tis the season for giving books!

There are so many good, new books that come out at this time of year, but people hesitate to give me any as gifts for fear I have read them already. So I try to tell each person who asks a different title. However, I do sometimes forget what title I've told whom, so it is always a surprise when Christmas rolls around. But I do love sitting down with a crisp new book on Christmas afternoon! This year I am looking forward to reading new books by Sue Grafton and Jennifer Chiaverini. Maybe more, too!

Sarah Statz Cords, in her "Readers Advisor Online" blogpost today, mentioned five Rules for Book Givers:
1. Only give books to people you know very well, or whom you want to know very well.
2. Don't just give books YOU love, give books you think others might love. Ideally, a book gift should be both.
3. Once you give a book, let it go. If the recipient loves the book, they'll let you know when they're ready to talk about it.
4. If you know someone who's a believer in "buying local," buy their book at a local indie bookseller and don't be afraid to put a bookmark in it from the store.
5. Don't be afraid to use library staff and readers' advisors as your personal shoppers! Describe what your friend typically reads to a readers' advisor and see what they suggest.

Well, several people on my gift-giving list are receiving books this year (as almost always), and I do hope they like them. I always send my three nieces books and am thankful that they are "good readers" (as we librarians call them). This year, my mother isn't getting a book from me since I saw something on vacation that I just had to get her. But she is my most appreciative audience.

No comments: