Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Working steadily...

...but not much to show for it, yet.  I've been quilting away at my "Calico County Stack and Whack" all week.  First I ran up and down the sashing in the ditch, and then I started stipling the 12 individual blocks.  I tried outlining the Lemoyne Stars but found my stitching way too shaky.  So I did a bit of frog-stitching (undoing) and decided just to do a simple spiral in the center of each star along with the stipling around the stars.  Looks quite good.  Now I'm sewing the binding down which always takes me a bit of time. 

Last week I swapped out and mailed 12" red and white quilt blocks to four ladies in an online swap group.  They are gorgeous, but because there weren't many of us swapping, I do have some duplicates among the 32 blocks, including "Twister" which came from Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks, Vol. 1.  I'll put 30 in the top and use one more for a label on the back.  I hope to start sashing them today.  I have a few 6" blocks to include in the borders, too, so it will end up a pretty good-sized quilt.

Don't know how much sewing I'll get done today since I just started Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, the second book in The Hunger Games series.  It's a page-turner so far.  I just finished Elegy for Eddie, Jacqueline Winspear's latest mystery set in 1933.  It's every bit as good as her last 8 books which is remarkable; sometimes series authors seem to plod along after a few installments.  And this is my week for various medical appointments.  I'll be glad when they're over Friday.  And now to do a little vaccuuming!

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I finished all of the Hunger Games series this week, I liked the first one the best the last the least. I will see the movie sometime.
Karen

Pat from Florida said...

Love the red/white combo!