Thursday, November 29, 2012

Around the World swap

With an international online group, I'm going to be doing something Jennifer Chiaverini mentioned in her Cross Country Quilters book.  Each person chooses a particular fabric and mails a fat quarter to each other person participating in the swap.  Those people use the fabric to make blocks representing them.  Yesterday, I bought many yards of a lovely yellow fabric with colorful butterflies.  It's all washed and ready to be cut into fat quarters eventually.  I hope five yards was enough, but if not, I will send out some coordinating brights.

I chose to make the traditional Dutchman's Puzzle block for each person in the Around the World swap.
I'm calling it Dutchwoman's Puzzle, of course. This sample block is blue and green because I am making blue/green blocks each month for the Heart of Vermont guild's "block of the month."  I also packed up some blue/green fabrics for the guild's "square robin" this year.  That should all result in a very pretty quilt by the end of the school year.

Yesterday, I started a little quilt with my L'il Twister tool.  It involves sewing squares together and then cutting them all apart and sewing them together again in order.  I'm using my design wall quite a bit, and this last process is somewhat slow.  No pictures yet!

Today we're off to Burlington meet Bob and Pauline at the Fleming Museum at UVM.  They have a special John Singer Sargent exhibit which ends this weekend.  Lunch at the India House, we hope.

No comments: