Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Finally!

Many years ago, I took a wonderful landscape quilting class with Jo Diggs of Maine.  She was a wonderful teacher who encouraged us to find the landscape in whatever fabric we brought.  She also encouraged us to work on smaller projects in order to finish, or at least get close to finishing.  Because I enjoy applique, I loved Jo's method of hand sewing and working from the top of the quilt down.  After the class I made a few little pieces using her methods.

That day, I had brought some Asian fabrics and hand-dyes.  I loved the little piece (4.5" x 8") that I ended up with, but I never knew what to do with it.  I thought about making a jumper and using it as a pocket, but somehow I never got around to it.  This year I heard about Ami Simms'  Alzheimer's Quilt Initiative.  She is encouraging people to send in small quilts, no larger than 9" x 12", to be auctioned off for alzheimer's research.  Our state quilt guild is going to be participating in this initiative in honor of the husband of a long-time member.

When I thought about what to make, I decided to finish my little landscape off for this cause. I sashed it simply and then hand-quilted. The binding is a variegated blue, also simple. It was fun and I feel good finishing for a good cause. We'll be displaying our quilts at our May 18 meeting, after which they'll be heading to Ami Simms.


By the way, when I was looking at Jo Diggs' website, I noticed that she will be a featured quilter at this year's Vermont Quilt Festival.  Can't wait!

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

turned out very well. I too have heard of this project in recent years but I have never made a tiny quilt for it - I really need to put it on my must do list.

Pat from Florida said...

It turned out so nicely, and what a super cause.