Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Cornucopia of Thanks - finished

This morning I changed the sheets on the bed, folded up the old log cabin quilt that was on it, and put my new Cornucopia of Thanks quilt on!  I started making a block a month with an online group but couldn't wait to finish making the blocks, putting them together, and quilting.  So I forged ahead, and it took 5 weeks to quilt in sections.  But the result is great.


I used a pattern by Jennifer Chiaverini (recognize some of her harder blocks?) and Connie in the group offered suggestions for making the quilt a little bigger.  I made four extra blocks and additional sashing to get it to queen-sized.  My favorite part of this quilt is the sashing - the black spotted fabric - which I quilted in a cross-hatch pattern.  It looks complicated, but when broken down into steps, it's really not that difficult.  And it makes the quilt.  I quilted each block in the sampler individually, with a little stippling, outlining, and accent stitching here and there.  We'll be sleeping warmly tonight.

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks great - it is always a good feeling to put a new quilt on the bed isn't it!

Snippets of Carol said...

Beautiful job and great finish time.