Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Easy dinner and great bread

Happy Thanksgiving Eve!  I hope your holiday is a fun one,  how ever you celebrate.  We'll be here with the three of us as was the case last year.  The guys are still waxing poetic about the filet mignon I made then, but we're having ham this time.  I couldn't find a turkey breast, and the turkeys were way too big.  Luckily, Samantha is bringing us some leftovers from the big turkey she got.  In the past, we had T'giving dinner with her and Vicki, when she actually cooked the turkey at her house and brought it here.  What a great friend!  She's even willing to take one of the three gigantic squashes Chris gave me.

In preparation for tomorrow's blow out, this week's dinners have been very easy and low cal.   Some have been vegetarian, and here's one that I really like - Greek nachos for two:

Dressing:  mix 1/3 c. hummus with 2 T. olive oil, 1 T. lemon juice, and a 1/8 t. pepper (the New York Times recipe said this served six, but they must have been small eaters).

Put a layer of pita chips (my new favorite) on two dinner plates.  Top each with chopped Romaine lettuce, chopped vegetables (cucumber, tomatoes, green peppers, whatever appeals), sliced olives, and finish with crumbled feta cheese.

Drizzle hummus dressing over all, and enjoy.  Perhaps offer more chips and hummus on the side.

Right now, I'm making 100% whole wheat bread using a recipe from King Arthur Flour in my bread machine.  I have tried a lot of recipes before recently finding one that really works.  It includes flax seed and a good amount of maple syrup; it rises well, is soft, and makes great toast and sandwiches.  I use the dough setting on the machine, which lets me take it out, shape and rise it again, and then bake it in the oven.   It may seem odd to do it that way, but the machine does a thorough job of heavy kneading for my older hands and allows the first rise to be in a warmer spot than my cool kitchen offers.

Later today, I'll make some winter squash for tomorrow, but mostly I'll be sewing today - perfect!


1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have heard of many that use the bread machine to kneed the bread - I can still kneed the bread and my machine broke down last year. I haven't replaced it - I love homemade bread but hubby eats way too much of it when I do so I don't bother anymore - he just won't eat smaller portions and has a big weight problem. I found a bone in turkey breast several months ago - they usually have a lot of them at Wal-Mart so I decided to get it then not knowing how the situation would be with the virus, in fact I had everything I needed for a small thanksgiving for two a couple months ago other than the fresh veggies I picked up the other day