Friday, February 5, 2021

A busy Thursday

During a Vermont winter, when it isn't snowing, everyone gets out to do errands, so that's what I did yesterday.  Just as I was getting ready to head to the bank, Marie called to tell me my Green Mountain Spring quilt (based on Bonnie Hunter's mystery) was ready.  I had told her not to hurry, but she was making her own version and got my quilt out to help her see how to finish one section.  Guess that was when she thought it should go on the frame.

I had been planning to go to the quilt shop anyway to find some fabric to border the hankie quilt and to get a few black and whites for the Options quilt along.  I had eked out these blocks Wednesday but noticed I was mighty low for future blocks in that monthly project.  It was, as usual, fun to stop there after the bank and chat with Marie for a while.  Her Grassy Creek is going to be great, and she isn't intimidated by bigger quilts like I am.   The shop was quite busy and there's a 4 person limit there, so when two ladies arrived, I headed out, even though I could talk to Marie all day!  

On my way home, I stopped at the florist/gift shop to drop off a tablerunner and small quilt to sell.   I love to browse the gifts and candy there and ended up taking a small beaded bag and a box of truffles home.  I will use the bag someday when we can all socialize again, and I hope Paul enjoys the truffles for Valentine's Day.

Even though it's only a few days into February, guild members are finishing their Valentine's block of the month - pieced or appliqued hearts - quickly.  I have the directions for March pretty much set, so I started working on the April block, Buttercup.   

I have been making one for the guild block lottery and three for my Dear Marianne quilt (based on Kingwell's Dear Jen).  A strip of three 6" buttercups looks very cheery and went together quickly.  

I'm hopping around the Dear Jen pattern book which seems to be meant for hand piecing which I will not do.  I need to turn some of the patterns into paper pieced ones.  Instead, I started working on an appliqued strip when the sun came out.  Hope to finish that today when it starts snowing again.  We have at least a foot of the white stuff on the ground.  I'm hoping it will hold off a bit so we can get a walk in.

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your day sounds nice stopping here and there to chat with people and pick up a finished quilt - it is nice that Vermont doesn't have near the amount of virus as some of the other states do - are people wearing masks a lot more there then they are here I wonder -

scraphappy said...

That is a cheery block. Love the yellow, and it sounds like you could use some sunshine in the cold of winter.