Wednesday, February 24, 2021

A start and a finish

 

I started working on Hannah's Journey, the new sampler quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini, the other day.  I joined a block of the week group on http://www.quiltingboard.com which will begin in earnest in mid-March.  I'm using white backgrounds and bright colors and am waiting for a layer cake to arrive.  

Chiaverini's previous sampler books contained some odd instructions, sometimes using templates when paper piecing would be easier or more appropriate.   I didn't always follow the instructions.  The first block I made, Air Castle (A-1 in the book) worked well, though, and I'm hoping the rest are similarly clear.

When I haven't been sewing or reading, I've been knitting which I find is quite a meditative activity.  I finished a scarf that went to the Salvation Army and ordered some yarn for a scarf or fingerless mittens,  

While waiting for the yarn to arrive, I made a child's hat with some leftover yarn. I don't like to use circular needles, so this was knitted flat and sewn, a very quick project. It will go to the Salvation Army after I do a little more closet thinning.  Meanwhile, I started making some very easy fingerless mitts, again on straight needles.  When my new yarn comes, I'll give the magic loop method on circular needles a try for mitts.  I have tried several more complicated patterns lately and started over because I really enjoy just sitting and knitting mindlessly while watching TV.

I did some more basement cleaning and also thinned craft supplies and plan to to the ReStore with those soon.   Now, if I could only find a place that will take a ton of metal coat hangers.  Our basement closets are looking very organized, and once I finish shredding old documents from 2006, I can put the shredder and card table away for a while.


1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really need to make some hats and scarves and donate before winter arrives or something - I want to learn more stitches and think I need smaller pieces to practice on - sounds like you have been busy