Sunday, February 21, 2021

"Encouraging Words" is finished

In July, I started a block of the month created by Abigail Dolinger called "Sisters" because it included patterns for two similar blocks each month, 6" and 12".  I worked hard to catch up with the previous months and then worked on blocks every month through December, using scraps from my stash.  I love mixing batiks, contemporary prints, and Civil War repros in the same quilt.  My background fabrics were cream scraps, but I did use a new printed fabric for the sashing and border.   

Aby had a suggested layout that resulted in a larger quilt, but a slightly "tighter" layout suited me better.  The finished quilt measures 60" x 64", so it's a nice-sized throw.  I'm calling it Encouraging Words because the printed sashing has words like "love," "snuggle," etc.  I guess it's meant for babies, but it seems very a propos for anyone at this stressful time.  

The back and binding were also purchased, from Dee's bargain area and is a print by Cotton and Steel.  As you may be able to see, I quilted each of the 12 sections of blocks with a simple grid, using my walking foot and a washout pen.  This caused some of the red in one of the prints to bleed a bit, but after washing, I noticed the color catchers came out clean (although one is missing - where did it go?).  

This quilt is destined for sale at the florist's shop downtown.  It's time to freshen up my display and to replace a lovely twin Log Cabin quilt that hasn't sold over the past two years.  It's time to fluff that quilt up and try it out on etsy again.   I was quite surprised to sell two quilts on etsy this year, including one that has languished there for a couple of years. 

The day I finished sewing the binding down on Encouraging Words, I also finished the binding on my Green Mountain Spring, based on Bonnie Hunter's latest mystery.  That quilt's 80" x 80", though, so harder to photograph.  One spring day I'll have Paul and Chris hold up the bigger quilts so I can.  Winter is really my most productive quilting time but the hardest time of year to take pictures of what I make.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sometimes I think I need to start an etsy shop but never have - I do need to start handing out some of these quilts to family instead I guess and have less to store here.. love the quilt you show