Sunday, April 16, 2023

Back to Dear Jane

 


I'm still feeling rather smug that I finished three quilt tops last week.  But who knows when I'll get them quilted?  I have yet to try my dual feed feet again to see if things have changed on my machine.  If they haven't it will be back to the shop for the machine, much to my disgust.  I don't have time to drive to Middlebury and wait for it to get fixed, yet I hate to be without it for a few weeks.  

So while I am trying to figure out what to do, I have been whittling away at Dear Jane this week.  I finished Row A - the above photo shows A-11,  -12, and -13.  Then I started on Row B, and just finished B-1 through -9.  I had forgotten how much hand work there is in DJ.  But this is a good time of year to do handwork.  I can sit in the breeze inside or, if it's not too hot, on the back porch.  When I was working on DJ before, there weren't any paper piecing patterns online, so if I wanted to do that, I'd have to make my own.  Now there are free ones at www.hobbystash.com, which I print out, a bunch at a time.  

Poor, sad B-8 was all applique and I have to admit it is a "variation."  The star part is supposed to be diagonal on the square, which would allow the melon shapes that I had already hand basted for applique to fit neatly.  Instead, I have to make smaller ones or do the whole thing over.  This time around, I am actually fusing some of the smaller pieces and liking the way they turn out.

Working on DJ also keeps the sewing room rather tidy, which is good because the quilter who is speaking at our guild meeting will be spending the night there Tuesday.  She has stayed before, and I'm looking forward to her talk about mini quilts.  She has even made a DJ about 18" square - amazing!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that would have been nice to paper piece or EPP DearJane - I didn't have that when I made mine I noticed at Paper Pieces they have a kit now for the EPP but it cost way too much I think considering I did it from the book and hand pieced it for the cost of the book and copies I printed at home.