Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Even more involved

I've been going right into my sewing room after breakfast, showering, and dressing.  The hankie quilt has been calling!


 As I work on it, I realize that, not only is this a collection of Marj and Karen's hankies, it's also a memento of my own life.  The segment above includes parts of a little shirt I wore as a baby, a little table cloth I received from my mother-in-law back in the 1970s, and a piece of my dad's Hawaiian shirt.  There are also pieces of kitchen curtains that have followed me from house to house over the years and orphan blocks I've been hoping to use somewhere.

The two center halves are now finished and, when put together, will measure 56" x 56".  I think I will leave them separated so they'll be easier to quilt, but I will most likely add the two side borders before quilting.  After I put the halves together, I'll add the top and bottom borders.  I decided to order some more fabric for the borders because I don't have any yardage big enough to go around.  I think it's busy enough, visually, that plain - as opposed to pieced - borders seem wise.

This has been a really fun project, but I'm glad it's done for now so that I can work on a few other things.   I'd like to get something done for a change!  When it comes time to quilt this, I will do it on my sewing machine, but I will also do a little hand quilting in spots.  Some things are delicate and will need a gentle touch.




No comments: