Sunday, April 2, 2023

Involved!

This week I have been doing very little besides working on my blue and white hankie quilt.  I made the last of 49 Hunter's Star blocks early in the week and set them all aside for a while.   Then I turned my attention to the hankies and other older linens that I had set aside for the quilt made for a Facebook class named "1914 Boehm House Vintage Linens" run by Rhoda Cox Dort.  

Everyone else in the "class" seems to be way ahead of me, but perhaps that's only the people who have posted pictures.  Many are finished with this fifth in the series which began during the pandemic.  I made the first quilt about three years ago and have been thinking about a second one for a while.  I won the first batch of hankies in an online auction to benefit the Old Labor Hall in town, and then my friend Karen appeared at our door with a batch more she found while downsizing.  

Rhoda's #5 class seemed like something I'd like to try because she suggested a layout like this, made one section at a time.  I'd like my quilt to be a little smaller than twin-bed sized, perhaps throw-sized.  Some of the group members' quilts seem too busy for me, with every space covered with hankies, doilies, and embroidered snippets.  I like places for the eye to rest, but I also am enjoying the improvisational nature of this process.  I make a few pieced blocks, some to hold parts of hankies and some to add visual interest.  Here are sections 2 and 3 of the quilt.

I got the ideas for the mug and table cloth as well as the butterfly from an older book, Hooked on Hankies.  There are a lot of designs for embroidery which I don't think I'll ever get around to, but I did enjoy making these two blocks and even embroidered the butterfly's antennae.  I am thinking of quilting this in sections, so I only sewed #2 and 3 together but not to #1.  I worked on sections #5 and 6 yesterday.  Will post photos when ready.

This project is keeping me engaged although I am running out of blue and white hankies.  Many of the remaining ones in my "stash" are pink, so I'm going to have to get creative about what I do next.  At any rate, being so embroiled in a project really keeps me in the sewing room and not snacking.  All to the good!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I haven't owned a hankie in years - did you have to find them on line? I don't think I am on any facebook groups at this time, in my opinion there are so many people in these groups that only a few respond to anything and everyone else just gives a like to things