Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Busy weekend

Friday was spent getting ready for Saturday's state quilt guild meeting.  We started out grocery shopping, and then I baked some pumpkin bread to take along Saturday.  We loaded the car with coffee makings, a tub for the Quilters Auction, paperwork, and show/tell items.  Saturday, bright and early, I met some of the other board members at the Park 'n' Ride, and off we went to Randolph, about half an hour south via interstate.  It was a gorgeous day, so I worried that no one would come.  I was wrong, thank goodness.


We had a good-sized group, and all seemed to appreciate the day's activities.  The Quilter's Auction made $385, and we signed up a bunch of new guild members.  The morning panel of Vermont pattern designers went well, and the designers sold quite a few of their patterns.  I saw crowds buzzing around them at break time.  

It was hard to get everyone back together after lunch, but they all seemed in a positive mood as the head of the Vermont Quilt Festival told us why and how the VQF board pulled the plug on this year's festival which was to be held in six weeks.  Vendors are retiring and focusing on online sales more these days.  The deficit had been building since before the pandemic.  Fewer people signed up for classes, despite a fabulous lineup of nationally known teachers.  A perfect storm, unfortunately.  But there is an effort afoot to hold a festival, perhaps a little differently than it had been.  We will stay tuned.

On the way home, Robin and I stopped by the former Historian's home to pick up the state guild archives.  There are 40-plus years of papers in tubs for me to go through this winter.  I will try not to think about them until January.  Eventually, I hope, they'll go to the state historical society.

After a few hours at home, Paul and I headed to the library's Spring Fling, complete with cash bar, great hors d'oeuvres and desserts, a magician, and a band.  The Friends sold raffle tickets for a pie, and we all had fun.  Sunday was a catch up day, and I even managed to finish the top of a baby quilt and begin quilting.  That's what I'll be doing today.  It's double-sided so I'm quilting it simply, in a 3" grid.  Looking great so far.  Pictures soon!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

someone recently that now lives in Florida but is from Vermont told me that she had heard the festival was cancelled and would be no more - I'm glad for you that it might continue after all. I think she would usually go to it when she visited her parent's yearly. It sounds like you had a very busy full time.