Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Scrappy baby quilt

On Sunday, I finished the other side of the planned reversible baby quilt, sewed some batting pieces together, sandwiched it all, and started quilting.  It's small - 36" x 36" - so it didn't take long to quilt a simple grid.  I chose a simple quilting design because (a) I'm not a great machine quilter and (b) I didn't want to have it look odd on one side or the other.  And it worked out much better than I'd thought.

I quilted from the black and white side, using Froggy masking tape as my guide.   I have been so frustrated with Scotch painter's tape popping up mid-way that I have not used it for a long time.  The green tape actually stays down and I can sew fairly close to it to get a straight-enough line.

This scrappy side used up quite a few black and white strings and scraps, and I even had to cut a few pieces from yardage.  Each block is 4" finished.  After I'd finished this side, I moved on to the duller beige medallion side.   If the baby and his parents want a quieter quilt, I hope this will work well.  It's a little hard to see the design due to the quilting, but I like the way it turned out.  My sister says my nephew's girlfriend seems to favor beige, so I had to give this a try.  It used quite a few beige scraps, too.  

For this quilt, I bought no fabric except a little of the outer border.  I already had some of that but just needed a bit more.  I have the binding sewn to one side and later today I'll sit on the porch to stitch the other side down.  Eventually, this will be winging its way to the Netherlands for a baby boy due in September.



1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a good design for a baby quilt