Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Productive day

It was a good day for accomplishing things I've been meaning to work on for a while.  Paul had errands to run, so I was home alone in the morning to rattle around the kitchen making jam.  I had frozen strawberries and rhubarb from last year.  I love the look of the jam in jars after canning.

I'm a little disappointed with this batch because it seems rather runny.  Mental note to self:  drain some of the liquid from frozen fruit before jamming!

I finished adding snippets of batting to edges of the Arboretum quilt I've been working on.  My "Frankenbatting" was just a tad too short in places.  Now I'm quilting the last border before adding the binding.  I really like this quilt.  When that's done, I'll take a short break from quilting and work on a few more Dear Jane blocks.

After lunch, I sat down to watch what I thought would be Quilting Arts on TV, but it turned out to be a delightful new program, Fresh Quilts.  It has a modern slant but is less artsy than the other show.  It was quite good.

While watching TV, I finished working on some I Found a Quilted Hearts I started last week.  I embellished them with buttons, charms and decorative ribbon.  They are now in a baggie for the car in case I go anywhere I can hang one or two.  They are fun and easy to make although I haven't seen any reports of finding the ones I spread around on last summer's trip back and forth to Wisconsin.  I plan to take a few to the town forest this summer.

Finally, I started shaping the toe of the sock I've been knitting.  Maybe I'll finish today if I can remember how to do the Kitchener stitch.  I am looking forward to making a few hats with some variegated yarn from Knit Picks,  These will all go to "Bags of Love" for kids in foster care.  It will be nice to work on larger needles after the tiny sock needles (#2).




1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so often when I have made jam in the past I found it not as thick as I would like which is one reason I rarely make jam anymore I hope yours thickens up a bit as it stands on the shelf.