Thursday, November 30, 2023

Lighting Up the Library

The Friends of the Library's second big fund raiser (besides the book sales) each year has become Light Up the Library, with donations of trees, wreaths and other decorations from local businesses, clubs, and individuals.   This photo shows one of the two first floor reading rooms last year.  That's an inflatable snowman peeking out behind a tree.  I find them tacky, but the kids love them.

It looks a little different this year because we are able to spread out a bit more.  Last year, a friend put on a play of A Christmas Carol in the other side of the reading room and stored props there.  This year, the play is going to be at the Congregational Church across the street.

The library has been my home away from home this week as I've been taking in all of the items which will be raffled off in two weeks.  The fun of the whole project for me is meeting and greeting all the donors who are excited to be setting up their trees and other items in the library.  

This morning, I'm expecting two young women from a developers' office with their little tree.  Several people have mentioned what a challenge it is to drive with a fully decorated Christmas tree.  It's amazing that most things arrive intact on the trees!

Yesterday we managed to find a good spot in the children's room for a toboggan with goodies and gift certificates.  Today I also hope to set up a tree with tools donated by the local hardware store.  Then I'll run to the dollar store for paper goods for tomorrow's open house to start the season.  All this activity really does get me in the mood to do a few holiday things around the house, but on the other hand, I'd just like to take a nap today after all this activity.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks fantastic! so many trees and decorations really is festive. I agree on the inflatables - I don't care for them - some of my brothers and family go crazy with them and think they are so cool - one brother in particular goes crazy with outside decorations - think Chevy Chase Xmas - inflatables and lights all over the place