Friday, November 10, 2023

Reviewing what I've been reading

My friend Pauline, also a retired librarian, enjoys edgy Scandinavian mysteries, both in books and on TV.  She often recommends books to me, but I rarely do to her since I seem to be reading a lot of cozy mysteries these days.  I had lunch with my friend Sonia, also a retired librarian, a few weeks ago and knew that my recent reading wouldn't suit her either even though her all-time favorite author is the same as mine:  Georgette Heyer.  Sonia has recommended few books which I reserved as e-books at the library.  They are definitely cozier-sounding than Pauline's suggestions which can be pretty dark.  

So far, I've 46 books this year, and of those I've read nearly 20 books that feature Aunt Bessie. The author, Diana Xarissa Dunn, has made a book available free on Kindle every two weeks in 2023, and, because they are titled alphabetically, I am up to "T" now.  I enjoy these books because they are set on the Isle of Man, in in the Irish Sea off the coast of England, and Aunt Bessie is a feisty older lady whose common sense and island connections helps the cops solve their cases.  I got interested in this island when I learned about Manx quilts and started working on one.

For a change of pace, right now I'm reading the latest No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency book, which I wouldn't really call mysteries since people rarely die in them.   And one of the books Sonia recommended is queued up on my Kindle so I'll have to read that next.  It's due in two weeks.  

I know I'll go back to seeing what's up with Aunt Bessie soon.   I do hope there's a Christmas one coming, too, because I'm in the mood for that kind of book lately - only two weeks to Thanksgiving!

No comments: