Saturday, June 8, 2019

Jam time


It isn't quite strawberry season in Vermont, but their partner, rhubarb, is abundant.  I made a small strawberry-rhubarb pie last week, using California berries.  They tend to be a bit tasteless, but I suppose they travel well.   I like the way rhubarb cuts the sweetness just a little bit, so this week I made strawberry-rhubarb jam.  Aren't the jars pretty?  I love to look at them all lined up.  I have no more jam jars, so I'll have to buy another case if I want to make more jam later this summer.   I usually make at least two batches of jam a year to have enough to give as gifts and for Paul to put on his morning toast. 

I made a rhubarb cake yesterday to take a meeting this morning, and I still have a little more for a little pie if there's no cake left over.  If there is, I'll cut it up and put it in the freezer for another time.   

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

haven't made jam in awhile - yours look great!