Sunday, June 30, 2019

Making progress

My Small World is coming along really well.  Today I finished the "hexie hill," made of 1/2" hexagons.  They are cut into a half 6" circle and then appliqued to a piece of fabric 3 1/2" x 6 1/2".  I chose to do a little reverse applique of my background on to the hexies.
I have one more hill to make, but I'm not sure what to do at this point.  The pattern calls for a New York Beauty, and the instructions say to piece it.  I think it would be easier to paper piece it, so I'll look for a pattern to substitute for the one in the book.

Meanwhile, I decided to start putting the pieces that I have made together, since the hill section is in one of the last segments.  Here's the first section - the "city" section - which was a lot of fun to make.
The instructions for the sky are pretty vague, and we can do whatever we like.  Those blocks are 1" finished!  I chose to put in a sunny section.  Other people have appliqued a sun somewhere in the sky but I wanted to piece mine.  On top of the building is part of a t-shirt I have been saving for a long time.  It reads "Vermont."     The pattern includes places for "text" either fabric or printed onto fabric, so I included two drawings of local sculptures (Robert Burns and sculptor Elia Corti) from the same t-shirt.  

This was so much fun after making all the blocks over the last few weeks, that I made another section.  We are working left, so the above section will be on the far right when finished.  I'll share another photo or two soon.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think this quilt is going to be very neat! reverse applique on that piece was probably easier to do I bet!