Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Long Time Gone

I looked in the Long Time Gone pattern book (the size of a magazine!) and it looks like I am nearing the assembly stage.  I had been dreading making the courthouse steps blocks with 1.25" logs, but they turned out to be fairly easy.  The half-square triangles were murder, and I am not looking forward to the pineapple blocks.  But I have been working steadily.  Here's a sampling of what I have made in the last week.
These blocks will not be near each other in the finished quilt, and there will be sashing.  I think they look very dark now.  I had thought I'd use a cream sashing, but now I'm thinking of a whiter fabric to tone down the gloominess of it all.  The prints, both blue and beige, are Civil War-like, but there are some other scraps mixed in.  Right now I'm working on a section with 60 degree triangles.  I have paper pieced those because they aren't truly 60 degrees, but rather 53 degrees.   No ruler I have - and I have quite a few - worked.  Luckily, I found a website with free 2.5" ones to print out.

I was surprised and pleased to receive a package from the Netherlands yesterday.  My niece (actually, my cousin's daughter) and her boyfriend sent me two photos they had blown up and framed of our visit last spring and a plaque that reads, in Dutch, You are the sweetest aunt.  

Some peppermints were in the box, too.  I sat right down and wrote a thank you email in Dutch.  My Dutch is pretty bad and stuck in 1952 which is when we immigrated, so I labored a bit and used Google Translate, too.   But Karin will appreciate my trying.  They told me this spring that they always sleep under the red and white sampler quilt I made them.  I wonder if it's big enough, though, since Marco is 7'1" tall!




2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

well that is one tall guy! nice you can still try to do the Dutch I think!

Unknown said...

Your Affiliate Money Printing Machine is waiting -

And making money online using it is as simple as 1...2...3!

This is how it all works...

STEP 1. Input into the system which affiliate products the system will promote
STEP 2. Add some push button traffic (it LITERALLY takes 2 minutes)
STEP 3. See how the affiliate system grow your list and sell your affiliate products on it's own!

Do you want to start making money???

Click here to start running the system