Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Using up scraps

A few years ago, I participated in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC), making blocks for a quilt using a designated color each month.  This is supposed to help use up stash, but I think it only just fluffs it up.  A blogger has organized this every year, and RSC20 began in January with bright green.  The color for February is orange, and this morning I got a jump on February by making three 12" blocks.
If I keep making 3 blocks a month, by the end of the year I should have enough for a nice sized quilt.  Usually there is no color designated for December; that's a time to finish up the quilt.   

I spent the morning cleaning up my orange box, ironing the snippets that have sifted to the bottom and straightening the larger pieces.  I cut a bunch of 2" and 2.5" squares from the snippets for future use.  Some of them ended up in the blocks.  At least now I can close the top of the box.  

I did something similar with my purples yesterday because I just couldn't squeeze another thing in.  I made some purple and cream nine patches to go with the swap blocks, too.  I will try to continue this for the rest of the year although some months I'll probably just make the blocks without  doing much "stash maintenance."

Meanwhile, I joined Weight Watchers online (no meetings!) on Monday and am trying to stick to the "green plan," which allows unlimited vegetables and fruits (with a few restrictions - corn, potatoes, etc.).  I lost two pounds in the last two days, and it hasn't been too bad.  I'm also doing the WW plank challenge (a yoga pose) every day since it doesn't take much time.  I have a long way to go!

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I haven't done the plank yoga move in a long time - I used to love yoga then had hip trouble or something that got me out of the habit - I really should try to get back to the that. I don't think I would have much trouble dropping a few pounds if it wasn't for cooking for more than me - I have a stubborn someone in the house who insist he has to have potatoes and corn almost every day - I don't eat them all the time but it is hard to cook what I want when I know he won't eat it. I hate to cook two separate meals.
The quilt will work out well - no color for November and December

Unknown said...

In this fashion my partner Wesley Virgin's biography starts with this shocking and controversial VIDEO.

You see, Wesley was in the army-and soon after leaving-he discovered hidden, "self mind control" secrets that the government and others used to get everything they want.

THESE are the exact same methods tons of famous people (especially those who "come out of nowhere") and the greatest business people used to become rich and successful.

You probably know how you use only 10% of your brain.

That's because most of your BRAINPOWER is UNCONSCIOUS.

Maybe this expression has even taken place IN YOUR own mind... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's mind around 7 years ago, while riding an unlicensed, beat-up garbage bucket of a vehicle without a license and $3.20 on his bank card.

"I'm very fed up with going through life paycheck to paycheck! When will I become successful?"

You took part in those questions, isn't it right?

Your own success story is waiting to be written. Go and take a leap of faith in YOURSELF.

WATCH WESLEY SPEAK NOW