Monday, June 8, 2020

A nice weekend

On Friday night, we got a little dressed up, Vermont style, and went to dinner at the country club with our neighbors and friends, Mary and Manny.  When I say "dressed up," I mean real sandals instead of flipflops and, for Paul, khakis instead of jeans.  The country club is really in the country and is reached over dirt roads.  Manny drove so we all wore masks.  It was surprising how many others had the same idea, and we even saw some neighbors dining out on the big deck overlooking the fairway.  It was a relaxed and fun evening.
I spent much of the weekend reading Kristin Hannah's book, The Winter Garden.  It started slowly, and seemed to be a story of two conflicted sisters and their cold mother.  But a secondary story started to insinuate itself, making it a real page turner.  I really liked it, perhaps even more than the author's The Great Alone (about a family subsisting in Alaska) and The Nightingale (about two sisters in France during World War II).  I think I'll get it for my mom for Christmas.

I did take a little time out to do the usual things around the house - laundry, a little cleaning, etc. - and some machine quilting on The Avenue, punctuated by some walks around the neighborhood.  I also went over to Samantha and Vicki's to dig up some of their lily of the valley to transplant into a flower bed out front.  It gets no sun, but I notice the lilies fill in nicely among the perennials.  I'll have to keep an eye on them, though, because in Samantha's garden they are choking everything else out.  They were on their way to Stowe for a hike, as they usual do on weekends.  But it was good to chat with them a while, at a distance.

Today's tasks include getting the Friends of the Library all a few raffle tickets to sell, making an appointment for a haircut, and quilting some more.  Hope your day goes well!

And BTW, this new version of Blogger seems a bit more clunky than its previous version.  Anyone else finding that?  I suppose I'll get used to it!

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you had a nice weekend - just home for us with Melanie dropping by for a visit and on line chats with daughter and granddaughter from Wisconsin. Must have been nice for you to get out. Yes Lily of the Valley can tend to take over a little but it is so pretty I let it go in the areas that I have it.

grammajudyb said...

I’m finding the new blogger a bit difficult also! Could be it’s just trying to teach an old dog a new trick! I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it.