Sunday, June 28, 2020

Quilting the House Quilt

I keep calling it "The House Quilt," but really it's a village now that the blocks are all together.  It was a swap this spring with seven or eight others around the world, and I also made a few extra blocks.  As one person said, "you can't make just one" like you "can't eat just one" potato chip.  I added a couple of trees which are nothing more than snowball blocks with stems.  This was a fun quilt to make.

It was a free pattern from Moda (I think).  I had just the right size piece of polka dotted backing and did a little piecing of batting scraps.  So it's a true scrap quilt, measuring 38" x 44".
I'd been thinking about how to quilt this as I was putting it together, and I just didn't want to do all lines or curves across or down.  I find free motion quilting, while very nice, just not for me, as I get too tense.   And I can't seem to adjust the tension to make both the back and front look good.  So I depend on my trust walking foot.  Here's what I've come up with so far.

I quilted a big X off center a bit and now I'm echoing the lines, about 1/2" apart.  It's a rather mindless process, but I like the final result.  It should take me a few more days to finish.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks good - I tried free motion on a couple small quilts and never got the hang of it - what you are doing is about what I do if I machine quilt something in straight lines - mindless but looks good