Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Memories of Keukenhof

        We finally managed to get outside to take some photos of the quilt I finished over the weekend.  It is based on the Jen Kingwell pattern, The Avenue, and designed by Louise Papas.  She said she was inspired by a trip to Paris and its many trees lining boulevards.   Her quilt was scrappy, just as mine is, but when I had it all together, the motifs looked like tulips to me.  So I quilted leaves into the blocks, using my walking foot.  I tried free motion quilting with this, but just wasn't satisfied with the result.   It measures just under 60" x 60" so will make a nice throw.
        I really enjoyed making the blocks, using the scrappy backgrounds and favorite colors from my stash.  I did have to buy a few more black and white fabrics, but I used scraps for everything else, including the binding.  The curved pieces were easy to do with my 1/4" piecing foot, and I'm so glad I took that "Quick Curve Ruler" class last summer, even though I used the Kingwell templates to cut the pieces.  I just felt more confident sewing the Drunkard's Path-like shapes together.

        And why Keukenhof?  That's the wonderful garden in the Netherlands which we visited last spring when every type of bulb imaginable was blooming.   A lifelong dream of mine was fulfilled!


No comments: