Monday, June 22, 2020

Another top finished

The Heart of Vermont sampler top is finished!  I moved the blocks around and around, made a few more blocks, and worked steadily over the last few days to put them together.  This doesn't show the whole top, of course, but a good bit.   I like the cornerstones and skinny colorful border that tie all the blocks together.  There's a wider black border on the outside. 

It measures 69" x 69" so I'll need a twin-sized batt.   That means another trip to the quilt shop.  I was thinking of using Warm & Natural now that Joann's carries it again, but they don't have it in a twin size.  So it'll be Quilters Dream which I like better anyway.  I just wanted to buy it from Joann's so they'd keep carrying it.

I still have to make a back for this top.  There are several leftover blocks and lots of scraps left, so it will be pieced.  Sometimes putting the back together is harder than making the front.  But this gives me time to think about how I'm going to quilt it.  My favorite way with samplers is to do each block a little differently.  We'll see how it goes.

Vermont is having a heat wave, which officially means we've had temperatures over 90 degrees for at least three days.  I think this is day 5 and we have another one to endure before rain brings slightly cooler temperatures.  It's humid but not as bad as sometimes.  Instead, it's been very dry, and the grass is parched in spots.  Paul has been watering the blueberries daily in hopes of getting larger berries than last year.  We installed the air conditioning in my sewing room Saturday, thank goodness, and that's why I've been at all productive.   

After I finished the quilt top, I got the house blocks from another swap out to look at.  It was a free pattern from Moda, and I think 9 people joined in.  So I have 38 blocks, including some I made for myself.  I have some light blue fabric with cream dots that I'm thinking of using as sashing and borders.  I'll cut a few pieces and let them sit on the wall with the blocks for a few days while I think about them.


1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

If it was 90 here the A/C would be on for sure - as it is it starts coming on in May for sure - the humidity makes it that way for us. We have only had the 90's a few days so your temps are worse than us, we do have high humidity though so much to the point that I didn't take a walk until evening and now I'm dripping!
Nice looking quilt