Tuesday, August 17, 2021

More Harriet's Journey

Aren't these little (6" finished) blocks sweet?  These are for the Harriet's Journey quilt I've been working on all year with a group on the online Quilting Board.  The book is based on Jennifer's Chiaverini's book, The Circle of Quilters, which I read some years ago.  I have made a few other Chiaverini quilts and find them quite challenging mainly due to the size of the blocks which are complex to begin with.  

Each month, Dotty D. in England selects eight blocks for us to make, and we all show and share what we've done.  I've been keeping up although they can be quite fiddly.  Some of the blocks are rotary cut; others are paper pieced.   In a few cases, I have even appliqued things that look pieced or have substituted an easier block.  One month, rather than piece a difficult star, I made a Grandmother's Flower Garden block instead.  Mostly, though, I am trying to use Chiaverini's patterns. 

The fabric I've been using is called "Moody Bloom," although I have added a few other fabrics like a hot pink and a green/blue batik that match.  So far, I have made 56 blocks out of a total of 100.  I plan to sash them in white with scrappy cornerstones.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a lot of different blocks to go in this quilt that you are making. I'm sure it will look really nice when completed