Monday, October 11, 2021

Awash in yoyos

A few years ago, the president of the state quilt guild asked if folks would like to join her in creating a yoyo quilt, possibly the biggest one ever, that could be displayed at the Vermont Quilt Festival.  People worked feverishly through that year 2018-19 to make yoyos and then to applique them onto black and white 5" squares.  There were a couple of sew-ins, too.  The resulting quilt would have been enormous, so she opted to make a king sized quilt (actually, 112" x 106") that could be displayed at the festival.  She thought that, later, it could be cut into four pieces and given to charity.

I am not into yoyos, but, good sport that I [usually] am, I appliqued some yoyos onto squares for her.  Any leftovers I gave back.  She is no longer the president, and I am the current secretary and live in her town.  The board thought it would nice to show the quilt at an upcoming meeting.   She delivered the giant quilt, two finished quilt tops, one top almost finished, and a huge shopping bag of squares a week or so ago.  I took the tops to a long arm quilter who works with the Dept. of Children and Families to supply "Bags of  Love" to kids in foster care.

But what to do with all those loose squares?  I took a few to my Saturday sewing group, and two people took some home to sew into strips for another top to go to Bags of Love.  I'll take the unfinished top to the October state guild meeting to see if I can recruit someone to put the strips together.  

Today I bagged up the squares, 12 to a baggie, to give away, too.  12 baggies will make another quilt top.  There were still some left overs, so I made a little 20" x 20" something - wall hanging? table topper? dresser scarf?   I'll quilt it soon and bind it in black.  

There are more white squares leftover, so they're in a bag of their own.  I have an idea for using those, too, but not for a while.   As I say, I'm not all that wild about yoyos!

No comments: