Saturday, October 30, 2021

"Options" quilt top

It's finished!  Measuring 70" x 70", this scrappy block of the week was set on point with a 5" border all around.  I've really enjoyed making the Options blocks by Aby Dolinger this year.  Her directions are very clear, and three 8" blocks per month were fairly easy to do.  Each of the three was a variation on a basic block, and I only bought a little white to add to my black, red, and gray scraps.   Today's assignment will be to figure out a back, possibly by going to Joann's.  I just don't have enough of the Aboriginal fabric to piece into a back.  I do have dark gray fabric cut out for the binding, though.

Because I usually only machine quilt items 60" square or less, I'm going to take this to my friend Marie who is a whiz at long arming.  I hope it's ready to mail to Ken for Christmas as a thank you for all his help with my brother Axel's recovery from surgery.  

This week, I also made the guild block of the month - maple leaf - and set aside a box for those blocks with various scraps to go with a print background featuring burgundies, golds, and a hint of turquoise.   These are different colors than I usually use, and I'm looking forward to using them.  The guild is going to have a lottery each month, so I made a second block (on left) for that.

Meanwhile, it's almost Halloween, and I have candy but haven't yet decided whether to give out treats or not.  Last year, I  put a bowl out for kids to take as they wished.  They were quite good about not taking too much, or maybe we didn't have that many stop by.  Whole car loads full of people we don't know descend on our neighborhood on Halloween, causing a bit of a traffic jam.  Some people love seeing the kids in their costumes (not me, the Grinch! I'll be watching my favorite shows, Call the Midwife and Grantchester).  

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

well if you do not like trick or treat just shut your lights off and lock the door - or leave a bowl out like you did last year. I only have one that normally stops by our son in laws great niece and this year her new step sister came with her - we buy one small bag of candy and I think we dumped more than half of the bag in their bags and shut the light off when they left - after they were kind enough to spend five minutes talking about baking cookies for our yearly xmas date (cancelled last year) before they took off for a party they were going to
Great looking quilt