Saturday, October 9, 2021

Dresdens and other stuff

 

Right now, my favorite quilt block is the Dresden Plate, so when I volunteered to make the local guild's December block of the month, that's what I decided to make.   I wanted to have one last year when I did the blocks of the month lottery for guild, but all of those blocks were 6" so they could be mailed.  That size would have been way too fiddly for some of the beginners in the group.

Here is a finished one in Christmas colors, and then I also have an unfinished one in wintery colors so that I can demo how they come together.  I usually use my Darlene Zimmerman template for the 20 blades, but this pattern from the state guild newsletter has14 blades.  It works up into a 12" finished block.  I enjoy fussy cutting the centers, although I didn't do that with the blue one.  It will have a glitzy center.   

Now that I've made these, I wonder if I should make them for next year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge, but - oh no! - I told myself I was only going to make pineapple blocks.  I'd like to work on the exploding heart and strippy Vermont quilts in 2022.  And what about finishing the 16" block quilt?   Too many ideas, so little time!


No comments: