Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Working ahead

The Unity quilt is very involving and takes quite a bit of time, even as a quilt along.  I decided to start the round for April the other day.  It starts with 32 6" friendship star blocks, but they aren't the usual friendship stars.  There's more piecing.  I used my Easy Angle ruler to cut the half square triangle pieces this time.  I learned with previous Bonnie Hunter projects that this ruler is the easiest way for me to achieve at least some semblance of accuracy.  

Here are all the pieces I've made over the last few days.


And here's my first block.  You can see my sketch of the color placement, too.  I printed the pattern out but only in black and white since our printer does not want to print blue anymore.  The sticky note works for me.


It's hanging on the design wall so I can make sure I put the HST squares in just the right places.  I had to re-press the blue HSTs so that they nest with the yellow ones.  And I'm making an attempt to mix up all the background fabrics in each block.  Don't know if that will be possible by the last few blocks, but I'll give it a try.  It should take me a few days to make all 32 and then arrange the round.  After that, there's a round of plain background blocks.




No comments: