Thursday, March 3, 2022

Options on point

Sunday, I started working on It's the Point, gathering fabrics, cutting, and making some samples as I test out Tess' pattern.  There were several ways I could make this lap-sized quilt - black or gray sashing, colorful or black cornerstones, colorful or black setting triangles (since the blocks are on point).  The individual blocks end up being 7" which is a bit unusual.  Here's my favorite of the three color combinations I tried out.  I have two others which I'll probably sew together to use on the back.

The picture makes it look like there's a spot on one of the cornerstones, but it's just a big polka dot.  After sleeping on it, I settled on this option and cut out all the big center squares.  They're 5" so a couple of charm squares would have worked, but I'm not real wild about using precuts.  Instead, I got two identical bundles of batik fat eighths, cut those up for both the centers and the cornerstones and added squares from stash.  The grays and black came from stash and Joann's.

So far, the blocks are pretty easy to put together, which I think is The Point of this pattern.  I have about a third done and still need to figure out what to use for the setting triangles.  Later today, I'll venture to the quilt shop and see if I can find a multi-colored print with a black background.  

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to the return of the dryer repair guy tomorrow afternoon.  Doing small loads almost daily and drying on a rack and the treadmill in the basement is getting old.  With almost daily overnight snows and very cold temperatures lately, we've been indoors more, so I've replaced some curtains, washed others, and done a little more baking - whole wheat bread and muffins, mostly.   


1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hope your dryer will finally be fixed - I think I would have been loading up laundry baskets to the car and take them to a laundry to throw in the dryers