Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Book case row robin

Toward the end of 2017, I joined a row robin group online.  These ladies are great quilters.  Whenever swap blocks or rows come back to me, they are ready to sew with - no trimming, no fixing in any way.  Because there were seven in the group, I have been thinking of how I wanted to arrange the shelves.   I didn't really want to end up with a long, skinny quilt.  What would I do with it? 

I decided to make a throw, 60" x 60", with two ranges of shelving, as we might have here.  Above one set of shelves, I would hang a picture that I made in a David Taylor class a few years ago.  I was happy to be using two UFOs in one piece!

It's a snowy day - perfect for finishing my bookcase row robin flimsy.  I love all the rows!  

Carol included a spot for a photo and suggested I substitute one for her and her husband's.  But I like it the way it is - Carol looks very funny.  She and Pat also made up some cute book titles to put on the spines, and Pat included what looks like the whole Supergirl collection as well as the old reliable Betty Crocker cookbook.  Susan included some very colorful spines, a toy truck, and a little tchochke.  Fran embroidered some of my favorite book titles on spines - Lord of the Rings, Pride and Prejudice, etc.  How did you know?  She also included a sleepy kitty.   Tricia included a whole collection of Jane Austens, my favorite author, and an interesting sculpture.   


I didn't want to end up with a long skinny quilt, so I took Leigh's row apart and made it into two shelves with an extra little quilt block accent.  I love the plant she appliqued.  I cut my own block down to fit and am using the rest on the back with everyone's labels.  

On the top of the bookshelf, I pieced a jar full of notions, a little loon picture in memory of my dad who loved them, and an Elvis snowglobe.  No, I'm not a huge fan, but I thought it would be fun.   Now I will be hanging the flimsy in the closet for a while until I get around to quilting it... eventually.


1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love adding names to some of the "books" I saw a new version of the book quilt recently and they added vases to the bookshelves and art piece type of things - made it more like my shelves are since I went to kindle and rarely buy hard or soft back books anymore